The Young Adult Book Council (YABC, YA Book Council) was founded in December 2007 to bring together adults who love to read and discuss young adult literature. We are based in the Pasadena, CA and meet once a month for discussions. Each month, a member of the book club selects a title to be reviewed. Sometimes we volunteer at book festivals, book-related events, and host book swaps. Once in a while, we also host open book discussions.
Membership for the regular monthly book discussions are restricted, but most of the events are open to everyone.
- Jane (@missjanegov) founded yabc in Dec. 2007 | YA Librarian | YALSA | VOYA contributor & reviewer | former bookstore manager | instagram: @missjanegov | Goodreads
- Alfonso (@alfonso_h) | yabc member since Aug. 2009 | library supervisor | MLIS Candidate | former bookstore manager | instagram: @alfonsohuerta
- David (@davidshead) | yabc member since Jan. 2008 | former bookseller | blog. David Yenoki
- Jen P. | yabc member since June 2015 | bookseller
- Kate G. (@irishkatey22) | yabc member since Dec. 2009 | Bridge to Books | bookseller
- Katie F. (@pocketofgreen) | yabc member since Sep. 2010 | public library teen staff | Katie Ferguson Photography | blog. pocketofgreen | instagram: @pocketofgreen
- Kevin | yabc member since May 2010 | 7th grade teacher
- Kimberly | yabc member since May 2015 | book blog. The Windy Pages
- Rebecca (@rebeccajeanfox)| yabc member since Nov. 2012 | former bookseller
- Roxana (@r_a_black) | yabc member since Dec. 2007 | blog. r_a_black | Amazon Vine Reviewer | former bookseller
- Shazia (@shaziawilson) | yabc member since Jun. 2013 | Library Technician | MLIS candidate | instagram: @beautifulfreak20
- ALA — American Library Association: national professional association for library and information services
- Bridge to Books: founded by two current yabc members, Alethea (frootjoos) and Alyson (alybee), Bridge to Books is a local group formed with advocates from various disciplines to share thoughts and ideas, with the overall goal of getting children excited about books and reading.
- CleverBee: A group blog by David, Alethea, & Alyson, about books but also about other things
- CLCSC– Children’s Literature Council of Southern California: a nonprofit organization that promotes greater interest in literature for children and young people and encourages excellence in the production and selection of books in that field.
- Goodreads: a free web resource to add, rate, and review books
- Once Upon A Time Bookstore: one of our favorite local bookstores. Located in Montrose (Glendale), this is family bookstore. Some Bridge to Books events are held here.
- VOYA– Voice of Youth Advocates: leading library journal dedicated to the needs of young adult librarians, the advocacy of young adults, and the promotion of young adult literature and reading.
- Vromans Bookstore: another one of our favorite local bookstores. Vromans is Southern California’s oldest and largest independent bookstore and has been in business for almost 120 years. We are friends with many of the employees and Bridge to Books hosts some events here. One of our members, Alfonso, is the book manager.
- YALSA– Young Adult Library Services Association: a division of the ALA, several of our members are YALSA members.